21 Turkish soldiers killed as guerrillas retaliate for companions killed by chemical weapons

On Tuesday, 21 soldiers were killed in actions by the YJA Star and HPG against the Turkish invading forces in southern Kurdistan. The guerrillas dedicate the actions to retaliation for fighters killed in Turkish chemical weapons attacks.

Guerrillas of the YJA Star (Free Women’s Troops) and HPG (People’s Defense Forces) carried out various actions against the Turkish invading forces in the Zap and Xakurke regions of guerrilla-held Medya Defense Zones in southern Kurdistan (northern Iraq) on Tuesday. According to the press centre of the People's Defence Forces (HPG), these were retaliatory actions for the guerrillas who were martyred in Turkish attacks with chemical weapons and other outlawed weapons. According to the HPG, 21 members of the Turkish army were killed in a total of twelve guerrilla actions, while a position, a shovel excavator, a Reo military vehicle and an electronic ventilation device were destroyed. In addition, a Sikorsky transport helicopter was hit.

According to the HPG statement on the war in Kurdistan, the Turkish army carried out 27 attacks with prohibited weapons against guerrilla positions in southern Kurdistan on Tuesday. Fighter jets bombed the guerrilla areas six times, helicopters 52 times. Dozens of other attacks were carried out with howitzers and tanks.

The HPG gave the following details of the guerrilla actions on 27 September:


6 am: A soldier was shot dead by a mobile sniper unit in Çemço.

7 a.m.: Two soldiers were shot dead by snipers in Sîda.

8 a.m.: Soldiers trying to enter the Şehîd Felat position in Sîda were stopped by a sabotage action, killing two soldiers. The guerrillas also destroyed an electronic ventilation device used by the Turkish army to inject poison gas into positions.

12.30 hrs: A mobile guerrilla group targeted an advance of the invading forces in Çemço with heavy weapons.

16.30 hrs: A soldier was killed in a sabotage action in Sîda as his unit tried to advance towards the Şehîd Agir position.

18.40 hrs: A Turkish squad started moving again near the Şehîd Agir position and was struck by a mobile guerrilla group with heavy weapons.

8.00 p.m.: The guerrillas prevented an airborne operation in Sîda. The Sikorsky helicopters were fired upon and had to leave the area without being able to drop troops.

20.30 hrs: The guerrillas fired on a Sikorsky helicopter in Çemço. The helicopter was hit and forced to leave the area without being able to airdrop troops.


Guerrillas of YJA Star hit a Turkish position at Girê Şehîd Derwêş with heavy weapons at ten o'clock. The position was destroyed and three soldiers were killed.

At the same time, mobile guerrilla groups with heavy weapons struck a construction team building a military road between Girê Lêlkan and Kevortê, destroying a shovel excavator. When a military column consisting of 14 vehicles tried to intervene in the area, a sabotage action was carried out by guerrillas in Geliyê Reş, where a Reo was destroyed and twelve soldiers were killed.

Attacks by the Turkish army

Guerrilla positions in the resistance areas of Girê FM, Girê Amêdî, Çemço, Saca and Sîda were targeted by attacks with chemical weapons and prohibited bombs. The Zap shore was bombed by fighter jets, while Şehîd Fedakar, Kurojahro, Saca, Şikefta Birîndara, Girê Cûdî and Girê Amêdî were attacked by attack helicopters. The attacks with howitzers and tanks took place in Çemço, Girê FM and Girê Amêdî. Drones were observed over Saca, Girê Cûdî ve Girê Amêdî.