HPG: Turkish army attacked guerrilla areas with banned weapons

While the guerrillas have been in a defensive position for humanitarian reasons since the severe earthquake in the Turkish-Syrian border region on 6 February, the Turkish state continues its attacks against guerrilla areas.

According to the daily statement by the Press Office of the People's Defence Forces (HPG), the Turkish army continues its attacks on guerrilla areas in the Medya Defense Zones in southern Kurdistan (northern Iraq).

HPG reported that the guerrilla positions in Sida twice with banned weapons on March 30.

On March 28, the area of Serê Metîna in Metina was bombed by fighter jets.

On March 30 and 31, the Girê FM and Girê Cûdî areas, the vicinity of the Lolan River in Xakurke, the areas of Girê Şehîd Kamuran and Girê Şehîd Heqî and the guerrilla positions in Çemço and Sîda were targeted by 96 attacks with helicopters, mortars, howitzers, tanks and heavy weapons.

Turkey's attacks continue despite a ceasefire announced by the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK). The decision was taken after the devastating earthquake disaster in the Turkish-Syrian border area on 6 February. The Kurdish guerrillas, which include the HPG and the YJA Star (Free Women's Troops), are implementing the call for a cessation of all hostilities and are in a defensive position.

In a statement on February 9, the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK), an umbrella organization of the Kurdish freedom movement of which the PKK (Kurdistan Workers Party) is also a member, called for a halt of military actions in Turkey, in metropolises and cities. “It is necessary to prevent the people from experiencing even more suffering in this affliction”, said Cemil Bayık, co-chairman of the executive council of the KCK.

The Central Headquarters of the People's Defence Forces (HSM) expressed support for the KCK's call and said on February 11 that the guerrillas were ready to do their part to alleviate the suffering of people.

On March 27, the KCK Executive Council co-chair Besê Hozat announced that the unilateral ceasefire would remain in place until after the elections to be held in Turkey on May 14.