People intervene with their own resources to bring wildfire between Mardin and Amed under control

At least five people are reported dead and dozens injured as the huge fire destroyed crops of wheat and corn.

A large-scale wildfire is spreading uncontrollably in a huge area between Mardin and Amed. At least five people are reported dead and dozens injured.

A large-scale wildfire is spreading uncontrollably in areas between the Kurdish provinces of Mardin (Mêrdîn) and Amed (Diyarbakir). The co-mayor of the district town of Mazıdağı (Şemrex), Kudret Uçuk, described the situation as confusing on Friday morning.

The first to respond to the fire were made by people who went to the area with vehicles such as tractors, stating that the intervention of the authorities was insufficient.

Kelekê District, which borders Tobinî District, was also greatly damaged by the fire. It was learned that Şeyhmus Demir, Resul Yılmaz, Rezan Yılmaz and Mezel Demir, who went to extinguish the fire from the neighborhood, lost their lives. Hasan Demir, one of the injured, was sent to Urfa for treatment. It was recorded that those who lost their lives while responding to the fire were between the ages of 17 and 20.

The fire is "out of control," the DEM politician told the media last night. Peoples' Democratic Party (DEM Party) co-chairs Tülay Hatimoğulları and Tuncer Bakırhan requested aerial intervention as the fire was spreading. "Land interventions are insufficient for the fire that has been going on for hours. Air intervention should be carried out very urgently. If necessary, international support should be obtained to prevent the fire from spreading as soon as possible."

Although calls for intervention from the air continued throughout the night, a helicopter between the two neighborhoods poured the water taken from Göksu Dam on the hay bales after the fire was taken under control, after 5am in the morning.
AFAD teams also arrived late in the region.

According to the governor of Amed, Ali Ihsan Su, a stubble field fire broke out in a hamlet near Mazıdağı early on Thursday evening. This then spread rapidly through neighboring settlements and developed into a large wildfire. Whole villages are now in flames.

According to Su, in addition to the fire department, the Directorate of Forestry, the UMKE (National Medical Rescue Team), the Afad Civil Protection Agency and the Gendarmerie are also on duty to fight the flames, using water cannons, among other things. Mayor Uçuk criticized the fact that firefighting planes requested for the evening had not been approved for hours by the governors of both provinces. A firefighting helicopter only took off for the first time at around 2 am local time.

Turkish Minister of Health Fahrettin Koca said: "Five people lost their lives in the fire that spread in Köksalan District and Yazçiçi village of Diyarbakır's Çınar district and Yücebağ and Yetkinler villages of Mardin's Mazıdağı district, and 44 people were affected by the fire, 10 of them seriously."

Wheat and corn crops were burned in an area of ​​approximately 5 thousand decares between the two neighborhoods. Kurdish politicians went to the area late last night.

Democratic Regions Party (DBP) co-chair Keskin Bayındır, People's Equality and Democracy Party (DEM Party) MPs and mayors are waiting together with the citizens.

Metropolitan co-mayors Ayşe Serra Bucak Küçük and Doğan Hatun, who went to the fire area, visited the injured people who were receiving treatment in the hospital after their inspections.

It was also learned that hundreds of animals burned to death between both neighborhoods.