Two years later in Cizre: 16 bodies still unaccounted for
It has been two years since the curfews in Cizre, but 16 bodies are still unaccounted for. Families state that the bodies are in the area where TOKİ construction is underway, and demand gravestones where they can mourn their children.
It has been two years since the curfews in Cizre between December 15, 2015 and March 2, 2016, but many bodies have still not been accounted for. 16 out of the 130 people burned to death while they waited for ambulances in the basements they were trapped in have not been accounted for. The families have submitted blood and DNA samples various times through the Forensic Medicine Institution lawyers, but they haven’t received any response. The families have been trying for two years, and demand gravestones where they can mourn their children.
Families state that the bodies are in the area where public housing authority TOKİ construction is underway, and 3 bodies have been discovered on site to date. All legal appeals by the families to halt construction are rejected.
“I SEE MY DAUGHTER IN MY DREAMS”
Hezne Aslan lost two of her children during the curfews, and still cries for another child whose body hasn’t been accounted for despite the two years that have passed. Aslan said the body of her son Sait has been discovered, but her daughter Hacer’s body hasn’t. She has submitted blood samples twice. Aslan said her daughter lost her life in the first basement and added: “I sometimes see my daughter in my dreams. The authorities must determine the fate of the bodies at once.”
“I’M WAITING FOR MY HUSBAND WITH MY 7 CHILDREN”
Taybet Gökhan, wife of Osman Gökhan whose body still hasn’t been accounted for, stated that her children want a gravestone for their father. Gökhan said her husband was listed in the first basement and added: “For the last two years, I relive those moments every day. I am waiting for my husband to turn up every morning with my 7 children.” Gökhan said many bodies had been lost in the rubble, and adding that her husband’s mother lost his life two months ago, said: “Before my mother in law passed away, she submitted blood samples. My son did too. But my husband still hasn’t been found.”
The 16 people who lost their lives during the curfews but still haven’t been accounted for are: Feride Yıldız, Sakine Durmiş, Mardin Çelebi, Hacer Aslan, Osman Gökhan, Hüseyin Dervişi, Servet Aslan, Serdar Pişkin, İdris Susin, Ali Aslan, Cemal Pürlek, Emrah Aşkan, Osman Esmeray, Ruken Alpaslan, Mustafa Keçanlu and Emrah Aşkın.