HPG reports Turkish use of phosphorus bombs in guerrilla areas

According to HPG, the Turkish army has again used a phosphorus bomb in a guerrilla tunnel in Southern Kurdistan. The guerrillas continue their resistance against the Turkish invasion unabated, killing twelve soldiers in their latest actions.

The guerrillas continue the resistance against the Turkish invasion in Southern Kurdistan without interruption. According to the daily statement by the Press Centre of the People's Defence Forces (HPG), the guerrillas are using modern tactics and showing great courage in order to effectively fight the occupiers in southern Kurdistan (northern Iraq). Twelve members of the Turkish occupation forces were killed and one was injured in the latest actions listed in the HPG's statement. The guerrillas destroyed two military tents, three surveillance cameras and a radar system.

Attacks by the Turkish army

According to the statement, the Turkish army used phosphorus bombs in a guerrilla tunnel at Girê Cûdî one more time on Monday. Guerrilla positions in southern Kurdistan were attacked a total of 16 times with chemical warfare agents and tactical weapons. The HPG also recorded 15 attacks by fighter jets on the areas of Sîda, Saca and Kanîsarkê. Combat helicopters attacked the Kurojahro and Girê Amêdî areas eight times. Dozens of other attacks with tanks, mortars and heavy weapons targeted the Şikefta Birîndara area.

Information on the soldier shot dead by the Turkish army

The HPG had informed on Sunday that on 6 August at Girê Cûdî, a soldier of the Turkish army who had been injured in a sabotage action by the guerrillas tried to surrender and was shot dead by one of his comrades. Today, the HPG stated that documents seized show that the soldier killed had blood type A rh+ and was under the command of the 16th Mechanised Infantry Brigade in Amed (tr. Diyarbakir).

Guerrilla actions in Avaşîn, Heftanîn, Metîna and Zap

Regarding the latest guerrilla actions in the regions of Avaşîn, Heftanîn, Metîna and Zap, the HPG provided the following information:

At 1.30 a.m. on 4 August, guerrillas targeted the positions of the Turkish occupation forces at Girê Koordîne in the Bektorya area of Heftanîn. Two surveillance cameras and a radar system, including accessories, were destroyed in the action.

On 7 August, mobile guerrilla fighters carried out a sabotage action against a Turkish army unit that was advancing on Girê Sor in Metîna.

On 8 August, two guerrilla actions took place in Avaşîn: At 11.30 a.m. a Turkish unit advancing towards the Şehîd Rêber position was repulsed, and one soldier was killed. At the Werxelê mountain massif, the Turkish forces again attempted to demolish a guerrilla position with excavators. At 7:10 pm, the guerrillas intervened with light weapons and forced the Turkish force to retreat.

Also on Monday, a surveillance camera was destroyed at Girê FM, and two soldiers were shot dead by YJA Star and HPG snipers at Girê Amêdî at 5:20 and 10 pm.

At 5.30 am today, mobile guerrilla units infiltrated the Turkish troops at Girê Amêdî from three sides and destroyed two military tents. Nine soldiers were killed, one wounded during the course of the action.